Skip to main content

Lost and Found

This morning I lost my toe ring. I looked all over for it “spreading my vision” to all nooks n corners in office. I retraced my steps to every place that I had been since morning to no avail. I called up my husband so that he could check in our building’s parking lot. Maybe it had fallen off when I kick started my scooter? When he answered in the negative I pinged every member in office to notify me in case they found a silver toe ring anywhere. No news of it and I eventually gave up. When I returned home and was parking my scooter, there it was, just where I had parked my scooter in the morning!! I was surprised and happy.It was definitely not there when hubby checked in broad daylight but I could find it in twilight! :)

Such a thing about me finding things when I had almost given up on them has happened many times before. Like one time in school, when I was in 4th Std, a classmate of mine and I were sitting in the classroom after school waiting for our auto rickshaw. The rest of our rickshaw mates were busy playing volleyball. Our rickshaw was late that evening and all other kids had left. Since we weren’t keen on playing volleyball we decided to finish our homework instead. There was very little homework that day and the thought of going home and spending more time near the river got me excited. Eventually we finished our homework and then my friend noticed that I did not have my right earring. It was a gold earring (I was allergic to other metals) and I remembered having worn it in the morning. My dad checked the earring every other day tightening it if it was loose. There was no chance of it falling off. We searched high and low, going through every classroom and the school garden and the playground too. There was no sign of it. Just then our rickshaw came and just as we were entering the classroom to get our school bags, we saw it lying near the threshold!! The two of us could have sworn it was not there when we searched the place previously.

Another time during engineering I lost my favorite pencil (the pen-pencil which came with 0.5mm lead). It was my lucky pencil and I was quite superstitious (I felt I passed my 3rd sem maths exam because of that pencil and every exam in that semester thereafter) about it. So it happened that that pencil was lost. I had lost tens of pens in class but never had I lost a pencil before. I searched for it in all the desks, asked for it with everyone in class, scolded the guys (see, they were responsible for stealing the pens, so why not pencils?) and even asked the girls to check in their PG. I was very upset. A week passed and nothing happened. The internals were only 2 days away. I put my hand under the desk to pull out my pen so that I could write the notes the lecturer was dictating and what came out? My lucky pencil !! :D It is another story that a day before my DBMS sem exam my dog chewed the pencil and made it impossible to recognize; I just scraped through the exam :P

Hubby and I had gone to watch some movie recently, 3 Idiots I guess. I think it was during Chatur’s speech when the whole theater, including us, was in a laughter riot that I felt a small “ching” sound. Instinctively my hands reached my ears and as I feared one of the earrings was missing. Just like that. It wasn’t gold this time but still I searched for it in the dark, nothing. I searched using my mobile light during the interval, nothing. When the movie got over I hindered the passage of others on our row because I wanted to find my earring. I decided it was lost and moved out. I was about to wear the jacket I was holding when I saw my earring in the jacket’s zip near the collar!! :D

These are not all. There have been many things in between when I thought I lost something…or someone, only for them to be back in my life a little later. It is a little freaky sometimes but in a good way. And each time it happens I have felt my faith strengthen in whatever power that be. :)

Have you been through this? Have you encountered such things in life? If yes, do share your experience. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Auli - Day 2

Contd from previous post " Trip to Auli - Day 1 " Neither of us realized the alarm go off at 4:00 AM and when we finally did get up, it was 8:30 AM..!! :-O The only other option to reach Joshimath was to travel the 8 hours/300 kms by taxi. We knew it was going to be Rs. 3000 (as per our hom ework) two-way, as in we have to pay for the return journey as well. But it turned out to be Rs. 4000. We tried our bargaining skills with the taxi federation or whatever there, but to no avail and so we were put on an Ambassador car, our driver being a Akram. He later introdu ced hims elf to us as Vikram. The views on the outskirts of Dehradun were good. It was very foggy as well. E ven at 10:30 AM, the visibility remained hampered. There are a lot of camping sites on the way. There are lots of shops the locals have set up that offer camping, trekking and rafting. The camps looked inviting with tents and gazebo kind of things set up on the river side. The river itself was blue

Trip to Auli - Day 1

The trip started on 9 Jan, 2010 at the vee hours of 4:00 AM. The hardest part of getting up so early and the next hardest part of giving directions to our house to a confused taxi driver tackled, we were all set to the airport. I had not expected the roads and the lightings to look so spectacular in the dark. It was better than Mumbai's Queens necklace :D  Reaching the airport (Bangalore International Airport) and checked in, had an expensive Idli/vada/sambar (Rs. 90) and roamed around the duty free shops till it was time to leave. The Go Indigo flight was scheduled to take off at 6:30 AM. The gates opened at 5:50 and by 6:15 we were tucked in nicely in the aircraft, though the leg space was a little cramped. We even got to see the sunrise on our flight and it was oh so beautiful. Landed at Delhi (Indira Gandhi International Airport) by 9:00 AM. The outside temperature was 10 degrees. It was cold, tolerable and thick smoke was visible when people spoke :D Our next destination wa

Agent Squirrel on the Roof

Caught this squirrel outside our house when we had been home for Dasara. Busy Oops! she spots me. She's found something!! Or someone!! There he is, the villain!! It started to rain after this episode so everyone went back to their respective abodes, including me. Later I caught her again. See for yourself what she does this time :D.  Agent Squirrel